How do I join?
Find your local Lodge and let them know you’re interested in joining.
For more information on Oregon Freemasonry, complete this Inquiry Form and a local Mason will contact you. Thank you for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you!
Why become a Mason?
Masonry offers the opportunity to make each man better through its teachings, his Masonic associations and a philosophy that has served the social needs of men for centuries, by promoting:
- Tradition: when you become a Mason, you become part of an ancient tradition that spans centuries. From the original stonemasons that produced some of the most majestic architectural wonders of Europe to modern day Masons who participate in numerous charitable foundations, you’ll feel connected to a vital, growing and spiritually uplifting organization of like-minded men;
- Self Improvement: learning portions of the Ritual and participating in the Degree stimulates the mind and, coupled with committee work and lodge management, presents the opportunity to develop leadership and organizational skills, build self-discipline through commitment, poise and self-confidence, and strengthen presentation and public speaking proficiencies;
- Sense of Accomplishment: participating in lodge projects, be they charitable or social in nature, provides the opportunity to contribute, work with others and enjoy the success of effort well expended;
- Fellowship – Belonging to a Like-minded Group: the modern work environment has reduced or eliminated social association with co-workers; joining with lodge members in a fraternal atmosphere can substitute for that former workplace fellowship lost;
- A Break from the Workaday Routine: Masonry brings together in lodge men of diverse backgrounds, where the daily pressures of a career can be left outside the door and where fellowship is the common theme.
What are the qualifications?
Any man may apply for membership who:
- Has been an Oregon resident for at least six months.
- Is at least 18 years of age.
- Has a belief in a Supreme Being.
- Lives a good and moral life.
These attributes are summarized in the tenets, or fundamental principles of Ancient Freemasonry: Brotherly Love; Relief; and Truth. If these values address your needs, Masonry welcomes you.
What is the process?
A man interested in joining a Masonic Lodge must:
- Ask for an application form called a Petition For The Degrees from the Lodge you’d like to join. One of the traditions in Freemasonry is that membership is not directly solicited by current members—if you want to join, you must ask for a petition.
- Once received, the Lodge will vote to accept your petition, and if approved, will assign a few members to meet with you and your family to discuss your application and get to know you more. This often takes place during a Lodge dinner or event.
- When approved, you will then be initiated with the three degrees of Masonry—the Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason—as have all members who have joined before you.